Since most of the US can’t seem to dig themselves out of a snow storm before another one hits, I figured it was time to make a list of all the things that you can do while being snowed in. As a kid being snowed in was my favorite thing in the world. But several days on end can make you a little cabin fever-ish. So here’s how to beat the cabin fever and do something fun with your day!
- Go sledding // Duh.
- Build a snowman // Double Duh. (Do you want to build a snowmaaaan?!)
- Snowball fight // (Duh) Do I even need to say it… I know these first three aren’t super original, but they are classics for a reason.
- Build a sledding track // We used to pile snow to make ramps and hollow out tracks deep in the snow. Be careful though, if it starts to freeze you can get going faster than you might think.
- Take a romantic walk // Growing up, we used to walk around our property and admire everything covered in snow. The pets always came with us and it was a family affair. But it would super romantic to walk out into the peacefulness and quiet with your sweetie. Plus knowing there is a warm house waiting for you when you get back is always a wonderful thought.
- Watch your kids/pets play // Drink your coffee or hot chocolate and watch the little ones frolic and explore. It really is great to watch.
- Take photos // Bring on the camera. Some of my favorite photos are taken in the snow. The world looks magical and gives you a beautiful white backdrop.
- Exercise outside // I don’t know why, but I swear I see more people out running in the snow than when it’s sunny. You do you. I still think carrying your sled back up the hill is enough cardio for one day.
- Build a fort or tunnels // If the snow is deep enough, build little tunnels to crawl through (not so deep that it would hurt if they fell) or make an igloo or fort to get inside.
- Build a snow castle // Time to find all that beach supplies and put them to use 3 months early. In some ways, snow sticks together better than sand so I’m really surprised they don’t market this in the winter…
- Read a novel // I think most people take snow days as a chance to read. But getting engrossed in a hefty novel makes the days pass super quick.
- Read out loud // This may seem silly, but even as an adult I still read out loud to my family. We all decided on a novel that we all would enjoy, and we spend the next few days reading and discussing. (Can you tell I come from a family of teachers/nerds? But I love it!)
- Learn an instrument // Pick up that old band instrument, or that guitar that’s been sitting in your closet for years. Snow days are perfect for no distractions.
- Wine and Design at home // Pop open a bottle of wine and have a painting session. Of course, for kids give them juice so they feel included.
- Build a fort // Pillow forts are the best for all ages. It’ll keep kids occupied for hours and be a cozy spot for couples when it’s chilly outside 😉
- Movie/TV marathon // Again, I think this is what most people do while snowed in. Movie marathons are my favorite, especially when you have a theme or just watch every movie in a series.
- Exercise // You COULD just crank out from pushups in the living room, but if it were up to me, I say turn on some fun music and have a dance party. If you have kids, they’ll love it, plus it’ll get out some of that energy!
- Learn a new recipe // Two words: SNOW CREME! Whether you’ve been dying to try something you saw on pinterest or you really just wanna break out your grandmother’s old cookbook, this is the perfect time to teach yourself a new recipe. And your test subjects (family) have no where to escape to!
- DIY project // Don’t lie to me. I know you have a DIY project folder on pinterest.
- Cuddle by the fire and actually talk to each other // Why find a distraction when you have awesome people around you to talk to??
I hope everyone is staying warm wherever you are this March! I think snow might still be in the upcoming forecast for us, so you know I’ll being doing most of this stuff on the list. Enjoy your snow days!