So Valentine’s Day is two days away and you forgot to make those dinner reservations, huh? No sweat. You can still have a wonderful and romantic Valentine’s Day without the expensive dinner and wine. Here are just a few Valentine’s Day date ideas I’ve come up with so that you have the best one yet.
1. A romantic walk // If you’re on the ocean, take a stroll down to the water. If you live near some kind of park or arboretum, take a romantic walk through the flowers (Raleigh has a beautiful Rose Garden, though I don’t believe the roses are in bloom right now unfortunately). Even if you live somewhere with lots of snow, walking together is snow can be super fun and beautiful if you bundle up and stay warm.
2. Picnic // This is probably most useful for those in warmer climates at the time being, but I think it’s great to get together some of your favorite food and take a picnic to a scenic spot (by a lake or in a park).
3. Cook dinner together // Some of my favorite dates are when Mike and I decide what we want to eat that night and go shopping at the grocery store and make it ourselves. Even if it tastes kinda weird, it’s still great to get your hands dirty and learn a new recipe with your significant other.
4. Go Ice Skating // It’s still that time of year, and ice skating rinks are going strong. If you’re like me and have no balance on ice skates, that’s just more of an excuse to hold on to your boy.
5. Stay in and watch a movie // I personally prefer watching movies at home rather than in a theater. You just can’t beat cuddling on the couch in a cozy living room, especially with how easy Netflix and Redbox make it to find a movie you’ll both like. Get a fire going with a glass of wine and you’ve got my ideal evening.
6. Get lost driving // It’s kind of a dream of mine to take a trip where Mike and I just strike out for the West Coast and see where we end up. Of course for Valentine’s Day you wouldn’t have to plan for the other side of the country, but just drive around to nearby places that you’ve never seen before. It’s like a miniature adventure! Just make sure you have a great playlist for the journey!
7. See a play // Even if theater isn’t your thing, plays can be a fun break from reality (but if your man isn’t into musicals, please don’t torture him! It’s Valentine’s Day after all.) I suggest local theater because you are supporting local arts! And of course, if the play/acting is bad, which I hope it’s not, it’ll give you something to laugh about on the way home.
8. Go to the arcade or Fun Factory // Be kids for the day and play arcade games or laser tag! If you make it a competition to see who can get the highest score, just make sure no one’s feelings get hurt!
9. Get out of the city to see the stars // If you live in a bigger city, seeing the stars at night is something we can only dream of. Since it still gets dark pretty early this time of year, drive just far enough out of the city lights and park where you can appreciate the beautiful night sky. Again, wine and good playlist might be key ingredients for this!
10. Go to the art museum then go home to make your own art // Spend the day hand holding at the local art museum (even if all you have is small art galleries those can be great as well!) and then spend the evening creating art together. No one’s gonna judge you if you are both equally bad at art. Abstract is so in right now… right?
11. See a concert // Either go to a show that night (that’s my plan this year! Whoo hoo for concert date nights!!), or surprise your sweetie with tickets to an upcoming show that you know they’ll love. That way you get to celebrate Valentine’s Day twice (with hopefully twice the kisses!).
12. Day Trip // Depending on where you live, take a short day trip and drive to the closest scenic area. In Raleigh we happen to be much closer to the beach than the mountains, so wake up early and drive to the beach, enjoy the beautiful water and sand, find interesting places to eat, maybe find a boat that will take you out on the water, and then drive back that evening. Mini vacations are the best because you get the adventure without spending money on the hotel room. Win-win!
I hope you all have a wonderful Valentine’s Day and spend it with the people you love most in this world.