This year is the first year I’ve had an in home bar or bar area. I have to say, it certainly adds a fun flair to the house and is a perfect excuse to invite friends over. We (my roommates and I) thought at first that we would just have a little bar cart next to the dining room table, but one of us had the perfect sized table to do a decent bar that still didn’t take up a ton of room. This is one of the areas of the house that you can have a ton of fun with and really go all out (hence the cow head. His name is Chuck).
So here are the things that I think makes a great at home bar and the essentials you need to really pull it off.
1. The table // Really any tall table will do but one with a bottom shelf really gives you more room for the items you can display.
2. Alcohol, obviously // We have our liquors up top, because there are quite a lot of them, and wine on the bottom shelf. For parties, anything that needs to stay cold (beer, ciders) can be brought out in a dish with ice, and can be easily displayed as well since there is still plenty of space on the shelves.
3. Mixers // Any tonics, bitters, or mixers can always be displayed in a fun arrangement. We like to keep our shakers and measuring cups close as well so that we don’t have to hunt for them. Also, you never know when you will need matches. Some drinks actually call for heat or flames, but our matches are actually just there because we light a lot of candles in our house (getting rid of dog smell) and the bar table is centrally located in the house. We also have a set of cards on hand for any game that may start.
4: Glasses // Any drinking glasses that you love and want to show off look great on a bar. The wine glasses we have are from Anthropologie (similar) and we have a few Blue Moon beer glasses as well. Granted, this isn’t everything we have, but just some special pieces.
5. Bartending Books // If you wanna be a hit at a party, know how to make a unique mixed drink. Or just keep some recipe books on hand. We have a couple, Classic Cocktails From Around the World, pictured below, and See Mix Drink, which you can spot behind our mixers.
6. Decorations // Have fun! It is a bar after all. We added a cute plant and some art prints to liven up the space a little bit. I wish I could tell you where Chuck, the cow skull, came from, but that was just one of the many funny things that moved in with my roommates.
Do you have a bar or bar cart in your home? I’d love to see pictures!